Well OK...

Today the kids and I were at my great aunt's birthday party. She's an interesting character, to say the least. My sisters and a some of my cousins were there with their kids as well (I can't believe how much our clan has exploded) and it was so cool seeing them all play together. The highlight of the afternoon came when it was time to cut the cake.

My uncle (also named Wes) made a terrible speech trying to remark on how big our extended family is getting and how it was great that our aunt was able to celebrate that with us (it wasn't a bad idea, but my family has the combined attention span of a gnat so he kinda lost us). Then it was time to cut the cake. My son, however, saw a whole in that logic - no one had prayed! As we often ask the kids to say grace at the table, my son took it upon himself to step forward, tell everyone to fold their hands and bow their heads (I don't teach him that particular posture, but ok). He also commanded, "Now no one talk while I'm praying, OK?"

The prayer started with, and I'm not making this up, "God, thank you that we can be here for [wrong name]'s birthday and that we have this chocolate cake."

This is a completely socialized habit - which I'm perfectly happy with (after all, he's 5) - but it was dang funny and I know that he's seeing this as an important action, so I know we're doing something right. He got lots of high-fives (which I'm not sure was the best way to positively reinforce this behavior, but my family isn't all that religious).

Sadly, everyone said the cake was "blessed." Which my son didn't do. Oh well.

Comments

CoffeeZombie said…
Heh, here in the South, I've heard a number of terms used interchangeably for the prayer before eating: "saying grace," "blessing the food," and "asking the blessing." I think "saying grace" is currently the most common, and it's generally the most accurate, since most people just give thanks for the food. "Asking the blessing" is also common, although, in practice, it means the same thing (giving thanks).

What makes me laugh, though, is when someone uses the phrase "bless the food," and everyone else is immediately obligated to object, and remind the speaker that we (as in, humans) can't bless anything, and therefore it would be more proper to say "ask the blessing." (I laugh to keep from crying.)

I've not seen that since becoming Orthodox, though. The Orthodox don't seem to have an issue there...

Anyway, sounds like you're raising your kids right, when they just know that you should pray over your meals. :-D

Popular Posts