Lent

Well, it's Lent. As has been my custom the previous two years I've taking up turning off the computer from Noon until after our kids are put into bed. This forces me to be more disciplined than I already am with my time in the morning hours, and releases me to the freedom of reading and "meat space" connections in the afternoon. It is an inconvenience, as at lot of my projects make use of my digital tools, but it's a good inconvenience.

My wife has also taken up doing a Lenten devotion with the kids this year which prompted my daughter to ask me, "Dad, why do people give up stuff for Lent?" I thought for a moment and said, "We give up stuff so we can not be distracted so much and be more able to follow Jesus." My daughter thought for a moment and said, "Well, why aren't I giving up anything?" When I told her that there was no reason at all why she couldn't give up anything for Lent she thought for a moment and said, "OK, so no TV for five weeks, I'll read!"

Now, I'm cheering for the reading part - but I also want my daughter to feel like she can succeed in this so I suggested that maybe we could keep the TV off after school until Bed time rather than drop it completely (she like watching one show in the morning before she goes to school, and the rhythm really helps her get ready for school). She smiled and said, "OK, and no Wii except at family time!"

So far, it's been good. My daughter is learning how to lay aside things she's normally free to do (and I hope there will be spiritual gain there), and she's also learning about the Positive side of Lent, she is spending a lot more time reading than she typically does (which is a good deal).

A family religious observance. Kinda nice.

Comments

Erik said…
that's really beautiful. thanks for sharing.

Popular Posts