From the bang your head on the table department...

Today I asked people what happens in the pericope immediately proceeding the Transfiguration in the Gospel of Matthew. A couple of people knew, but most just shuffled nervously. So, even though it wasn't part of what I was planning to do, I asked, "OK, well let me ask then, how many of us have read the Gospel of Matthew?" About 1/3 of the congregation raised their hands.

Two thirds of the people attending worship haven't read the Gospel of Matthew? Are you kidding me? I'm trying to figure out why it is that folks who haven't ever read the teaching of Jesus can (a) tell me what the congregation should be doing in Jesus' name and (b) actually say, "Hey, I follow Jesus." I'm not talking about someone who is a brand-new disciple (actually, the newest disciple in our congregation has read Matthew). I'm talking about people who have been part of the congregation for 20, 30, 40, and even 50 years. Are you serious? How the heck can you be a church that doesn't even know the story and content of the Gospel?

I just want to cry.

Comments

Popular Posts